Learning to take better pictures is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. This summer, I borrowed a camera, took a course, and learned how to use a DSLR. When the time came to give the photo camera back to its owner, I wanted to show my gratitude somehow. My first idea was to get him some booze, but I learned that he didn’t really drink that much alcohol. So, why not cookies? Everyone loves cookies, right? So I decided to bake some photo camera cookies for the photography loving guy.
In case you are convinced that you must bake some camera cookies of your own, here is how to:
1. Make cookie dough. Use a small thin glass to cut out rounded shapes from your dough. These will become the camera lens later on.
2. Cut rectangular shapes that are somewhat bigger than your circles. These will become the camera body. Bake them (according to the instructions of your cookie recipe) and let them cool down.
3. Make royal icing. Use it as edible glue to attach your circles to your rectangles.
4. Use a piping bag (or plastic wrap with a tiny hole) to outline your cookies. You can emphasize whatever part you want. I made two circles on each lens, an outline on the camera body and a horizontal line on about a quarter of the height of the camera body. Let your icing dry so it hardens.
5. Divide your icing over two bowls. Add food colouring to one bowl. Fill up the outlined spaces of your cookies with running icing (add a bit of water to your royal icing). You can vary what parts you fill up and what colours you use. Just play with it. Leave the cookies alone to let the icing dry.
6. Tadaaa! Take imaginary pictures with your not-imaginary-and-very-real-plus-delicious-edible-camera-cookies! Give them to a friend or eat them all in one sitting and pretend there never were cookies.
For now, I am back to my old point-and-shoot-camera. But I am definitely considering buying a proper camera to continue to implement all the lessons I’ve learned.
What other cool cookie shape idea should I try?
October 6, 2014 at 08:06
Normally I bake cookies with the focus on taste, not on decoration, but I actually really wanna make these! They look so awesome. :D
October 8, 2014 at 13:29
Haha I am usually the other way around ;)
October 7, 2014 at 11:00
I don’t know if you have done this before, you are so creative, but I thought it would be cool if you could make cookies in the shape of a paper crane. :)
October 8, 2014 at 13:30
I haven’t and I like the idea. I have tried to fold origami cranes from edible paper, but that didn’t work. The paper tore. Like the cookie idea though :)
October 8, 2014 at 22:08
These are so cute!
Also, I was wondering if you would like to follow each other through Bloglovin. If you would, just follow me and I will follow back! :)
October 12, 2014 at 09:55
Deze zijn echt te leuk! :-)